Thursday, February 9, 2017

How's Your Posture?

"It is not the body's posture, but the heart's attitude that counts when we pray."   ~Billy Graham

Image result for posture
How's Your Posture?

Over Christmas, I dealt with some back pain, which forced me to re-evaluate some habits like posture. It's something I'm sorry to say I don't work at when all is well and find it takes a lot of conscious effort and even training to form healthy habits.  It's quite amazing how our natural tendency is to revert to positions that put stress on our weak areas when we could/should use our stronger muscles for this!

This being highlighted in my natural circumstances, I became sensitive to the same concept spiritually. And I noticed how Hannah's (one of my favorite women from B.C. days) posture drastically improved when she returned from a life-changing experience at the temple.  She went from a despondent disposition because of unfulfilled longings to one of worship.  Her circumstances hadn't changed...yet; but her outlook, her attitude, and her actions put her in position to receive the very thing she longed for from the Lord: a son.

Hannah's exemplar posture of worship is something I'm trying to live out in a time of waiting and extended delay.  As you may know, in December my goal to leave in January was pushed to February. Last week I learned that it's been delayed even further, with the new estimated (earliest) leave date as end of March!  I tend to be a "glass is half full" kind of person and could, without even thinking, rattle off about 5-6 blessings that have come from my still being here.  Still, the waiting has that "gravity effect" that if I'm not intentional to keep a posture of worship, I find myself spiritually slouching.

So, as I examine my spiritual stance and consider how to practically engage to improve it, I like how Eugene Peterson translates James 4: 8-10 in the Message.  Parts of it remind me a lot of Hannah's own position.  So let God work his will in you.  Yell a loud no to the Devil and watch him scamper.  Say a quiet yes to God, and He'll be there in no time.  Quit dabbling in sin.  Purify your inner life.  Quit playing the field.  Hit bottom, and cry your eyes out.  The fun and games are over.  Get serious, really serious.  Get down on your knees before the Master; it's the only way you'll get on your feet.
 
"There are thoughts which are prayers.  There are moments when, whatever the posture of the body, the soul is on its knees."  
~Victor Hugo