Wednesday, July 5, 2017

Facing a Task Unfinished


Last week, I attended the ACNA (Anglican Church in North America) Provincial Assembly in Wheaton, IL along with several other SAMS missionaries and 1400 Anglicans!  While it made for some very long days, I have to say that I was so encouraged in so many ways.  The theme of "Mission on our Doorstep" addressed needs and opportunities both locally and globally.

That's a lot of Anglicans!

I'm not sure about you, but sometimes I find the state of the world--and even the church--to be demoralizing.  There are so many people with so many real needs--addicted, broken (relationships/families), persecuted, refugees, hungry, poor, marginalized/outcast, forgotten, sick, dying, confused, foreigner...the list goes on.  Sometimes the needs are so overwhelming, the temptation is to throw up our hands and do nothing because will our small efforts really make a difference?

But what is so beautiful and ingenious about God's design of His Church is that it is a Body, made of many members.  I was reminded of that and the strength that we have when we are surrounded by and connected to a body of believers under Christ's lordship.  As I sat in on workshops and plenary sessions and met people at meals, I was so encouraged to see different ministries that are addressing these needs and making a difference.  So, maybe I can't meet every need that exists, but I'm a part of a larger Body who is!




One of my favorite hymn re-makes: "Facing A Task Unfinished"

http://www.gettymusic.com/facing-a-task-unfinished/

This takes some pressure off, but equally begs the questions, "What's my role?"  Until Jesus returns, there will always be unfinished tasks and unmet needs.  May we seek Him to know how we can join what He is doing through the Church to meet these needs.  May we always share His heart to know Him and make Him known, for Him to be exalted in the nations and on the earth.  



Archbishop Foley invited longtime friend Louie Giglio who exhorted us  from Psalm 46:
 God will be exalted in the nations and on the earth.