Saturday, December 31, 2016

Remembering 2016

In the midst of the busy holiday season, I always try to spend some time reflecting on the past year and looking ahead at the new one.  It's a helpful way to remember what God has done, and I think He wants us very much to live a life of remembering what He has done-not just in our own lives, but throughout the generations and the history of mankind. In the book of Joshua 3 and 4, He commanded them to build a memorial for this very purpose!  


Like every year, there have been highs, and there have been lows.  Successes and victories, disappointments and frustrations.  But as I look back, I definitely see God's hand; and this post is to remember and celebrate what God has done this past year.  Actually He's done so much more, but this is mostly focusing on the call I'm responding to.


~January~
As an attempt to discern God's will about going full-time with EE, I attended the European Conference in Vienna, Austria.  It was affirming, and I met Helmut, my future boss.


With former 2015 interns Pete and Jasmine at Europe Conference in Vienna

~February~
On a phone call with Rod (EE leader), I was invited to a couple of EE events in the upcoming months, one of them mandatory for me to go full-time.  This answered my question about not renewing my contract to teach this year.

~March~
Within 24 hours of informing my principal and head of school that I would not be renewing my contract, we received a random email with a qualified replacement!

~April~
After several encouragements, I attended the New Wineskins Conference in Asheville, NC.  Not only was so encouraged and affirmed, but I also met SAMS' director and interim director and began to dialogue with them about a partnership.


A huge surprise to run into the Powells from my BFA days (2008-10) at New Wineskins Conference...and they introduced me to SAMS' leaders!

~May~
Made my first visit to EE International headquarters in Asheville.  Had a bittersweet finish to three amazing years of teaching amazing students with amazing colleagues at First Baptist.

~June~
Traveled to Switzerland to meet the leadership team I would join and get a taste for what is ahead.

Re-connecting in person with long-time friend Gunnhild in her homeland of Norway


~July~
Got to re-connect with long-time and newer friends in Europe before heading to Australia and re-uniting with more friends and attend a missions conference at a church I knew from the previous year's internship.


With Aussie friends at FAC's Missions Conference in Wollongong, Australia

~August~
First time to Asia (Indonesia) for my first Congress of Nations!  A very sweet, exciting time as I gained a big picture and met the "whole family" as well as the team in Europe I'll be joining.  Also attended Crossroads Conference in Ambridge, PA as a SAMS candidate.

With European team at Congress of Nations in Malang, Indonesia


~September~
Found buyers for our condo before it ever went on the market (It's a God story).  Packed and moved before leaving for Fiji at the end of the month.

~October~
Joined 21 others from 13 different nations to attend the Leadership Development Training for full-time staff with EE.  Our condo closed while I was there.


At EE's Kennedy Training Center in Fiji for 6-week Leadership Development Training

~November~
Had my first opportunity to share about my journey at St. Matthew's Parish in Fort Motte, SC, where I recently learned my grandfather lived during his childhood!  Also, started my first one-on-one XEE training!


XEE training with new friends Dot and Chris...
At our old condo...because they were the buyers (Only the Lord!)

~December~
Encouraged and touched by the many people God has put in my life to encourage and support me through the ups and downs of life and especially to spur me on to continue on and embrace the call and vision God has given me.

2016 was a year of risk-taking, 100% yes, and some dreams coming true. It hasn't been easy, but it has been exciting and fulfilling.  I'm thankful that we have a God who is faithful to lead us and love us. Here's to remembering what He has done.  And since I'll be without Internet when the New Year rings in, here's a cheer to the New Year 2017!