Friday, April 27, 2018

Phnom Penh!

If I'd done things my way, I would've arranged to stay in the Bangkok area for my 10 days.  I'm so glad I didn't do my way!  First, Chiang Mai (especially Juniper Tree) was perfect for what I needed.  Second, I found out that week that the girl I'd wanted to visit in Bangkok had to leave unexpectedly!  So glad I followed how I sensed the Lord leading rather than what I wanted to do--good lesson for me.  Third, I certainly wouldn't have added another country to the list!  But...

My beloved director of SAMS encouraged me to visit Phnom Penh while I was there; and though I desperately wanted to have a slower pace, I wanted to listen to him...plus, I'm so close!  Also, Cambodia/Laos/Vietnam have been of special interest to me and were hi-lighted on my prayer map when lived in the condo.  When I learned that the couple I could stay with were from Wheaton and their sending church was the church I often attend when I visit there, it helped. :)

Street where I stayed while I was there

They were sweet to pick me up from the airport since it's nearly impossible to find their house.  Some roads there have names, but not all.  There are lots of alleys and unpaved roads.  In case you don't know much about Cambodia like I didn't, it's one of the poorest countries in the world.  Having endured the Khmer Rouge genocides in the 70's, which massacred the educated people, education is only just beginning to be welcomed and embraced by the newer generations. (Disclaimer: I haven't done much research and am not. reliable source for Cambodian history, but this is based on conversations I've had.). Anyhow, that can help explain the economic and daily life situation.  

Back to the airport pickup: the family's car which had been in the shop earlier that day, wouldn't start; so I would get my first tuk tuk ride!  (A little canopied wagon with seats being pulled from a moped).  Woo hoo!  That's their version of a taxi. It's open air, which means a combo of heat and dirt, but fun!. :)

Speaking of heat, wow.  Thailand also had been extremely hot--in the 100's!!!  My app said it was only in the mid-90's in Phnom Penh, but it felt just as hot!  In fact, it was so hot that I welcomed the cold shower in my room (when I could've used the family shower with hot water)!  That's a first ever. 

Funnily, the week I was in Albania, the Colombian girl who visited roomed with me; and we learned that the husband of her friend would be in Phnom Penh for 3 days, too--that overlapped with my 3 days!  He and his wife were both Wheaton grads!  So I met with him my first morning and got to hear all about his medical outreaches in Thailand and now Cambodia.  That afternoon, I met up with Audrey.  A lady I'd had lunch with in Chiang Mai told me about her, also a Wheaton grad from my program and now teaching ESL there.  So great to see someone from "my world."  

I rode on the back of her scooter to get home since she lives in the "same neighborhood" as the family I stayed with.  If you don't have assurance of where you're going after you die, I don't recommend this, ha!  There were a few times my imagination applied to sheer logic could've sent me into panic, but my strategy was just go with the flow.  I mean, I never saw anyone fall or get hit/hurt during my two days there (unless you count the time a Prius backed into the parked tuk tuk I was sitting in waiting for the driver and another rider, but I'm not counting parked vehicles 🤣).

View from the tuk tuk :)

Thankfully I had my own tuk tuk driver who speaks English.  The family recommended him, and I stuck with him since I don't speak a lick of Khmer  (I think it's the first/only country I've ever visited where I didn't at least know how to say one thing! :( ).  He took me to a museum which I thought had artwork of Vann Nath--one of 7 survivors of the genocide--but it was mostly Buddhas and ancient relics.  Oh well.  I learned a few things and realized there is so much I don't know about this religion.

Lotus garden at the Royal Museum of Art


As I waited at the Phnom Penh airport yesterday morning, it was difficult for me.  It seemed like one of the nicest, cleanest airports I've ever been in--which I appreciate--but seems so out-of-place when the conditions are so difficult there.  A lot to think about...