Friday, July 3, 2020

Retreat and Reset

So much has happened since my last post!  It was early June that I made the decision with SAMS to shift to associate status.  This means that I'm not actively raising support and do not have any immediate plans to return to the field, but am discerning what the long-term will look like regarding my role in missions.

I had an overwhelming response of love and affirmation, which was an incredible gift since it was a very difficult decision to make.  One of my supporters who happens to be a relative, asked if I'd considered a sabbatical, even a short one, to get away.  Well, I hadn't mainly because I'd barely left the house for months!  But St. Christopher had been on my heart, and I really wanted to support them, so I called to ask about that option.

Later that day, I got an email from the camp inviting me to a retreat that weekend!  That led me to taking almost a week for a personal retreat.  That was not my plan, but how it worked out, and I am so incredibly grateful!  I've never had so much time like that.  I read several books of the Bible, my journal in entirety (which was very helpful), went through a debriefing SAMS had sent, and spent time praying and journaling.  I walked the beach twice a day.  It was just what I needed to gain perspective, and by the last day, I had a sense of direction for next steps.

The very evening I got home, I came across a French teaching position at a local private school, which led to me learning of at least four open French teacher positions in Charleston.  That's unheard of!  I couldn't believe it!  I ended up applying for two and accepted the offer at a brand new public high school in nearby Mount Pleasant.  I'm so incredibly thankful and recognize God's hand of favor and grace, particularly in His impeccable timing!  So now I'm looking for a place to live and have lots to do before we hopefully start on time this August.  That's it for now. :)