Saturday, November 20, 2021

Sidetracked

Coming up for air as I'm officially on break, at least from school.  Hallelujah! :) Since I last posted, I had many goals and set off with high hopes.  I like being productive especially when there's a sense of moving forward.  Sunday, October 10th, I was encouraged not so much with progress in my own life, but in the lives of those I love.  I was literally rejoicing as I was driving home from visiting family.  That's when a deer plowed into my car full speed, knocking my car off the road and left my head spinning, my heart racing, and my car totaled.

Sidetracked is a fitting word because it describes the past 6 weeks quite well.  All of my time has been focused on the cares of the world: to sum up, caring for my back and getting a car.  Doesn't sound so bad when I phrase it that way, but the limitations and things I've had to let go off plus added stresses/responsibilities were certainly not what I would've chosen this past season.

That said, it's incredible all the ways that the Lord takes care of us and more importantly is with us during hard times.  He certainly has been, and I'm humbled and grateful for His provision and care especially through others.  I've had two cars generously lent to me for week(s) at a time from rather new friends!  As I write this, I still haven't bought a car but maybe by the time you're reading this, I will have!

I've been reminded of the importance of listening to the Lord and hearing His voice in this season.  I think that is so important because sometimes the other voices sound comforting, but actually feed our flesh, which is the very opposite of how the Lord wants to work in our trials and put those things to death!  I confess that there was a bit of appreciation for those wanting me to not to be taken advantage of by insurance and to stand up for myself, etc., but it didn't take much time with the Lord to hear a very different message: suffering.  

When I embraced this message, I could more readily accept misfortune and trust Him to be my advocate and ultimately provide for my needs rather than relying on my own efforts.  Instead of focusing on thoughts and feelings of injustice, I actually wanted to be pure and free of the frustration and defensiveness I was feeling every time I spoke with rental (high prices/car shortage), towing (delays in getting my car), body shop, insurance (I won't go there), etc or looked at the inflated prices of used cars.  

A second message was to "reset" which very fittingly came the weekend of Daylight Savings time when our clocks were also resetting. :).  Good word because Jesus has the last word on everything (1 Peter 3:22, Msg) including attempts to gets us off track with discouragement, cares of the world, whatever.  I may have experienced some loss, but I've also gained through this experience, and the Lord is faithful and will fulfill His purpose for me (Psalm 138:8).

I haven't made it to the other side yet, so prayers appreciated.  I'm thankful that God wastes nothing and seems to be developing perseverance as well as these days require it more than normal.  On a positive note, I'm slowly getting back to being more mobile and active which makes me appreciate things I often take for granted like cleaning, ha ha, and walks.  I pray that whatever unexpected trial you may be facing that you may hear the Lord's voice, know His presence and provision, and come out purer and freer than before.  

He has made everything beautiful in its time. Eccl 3:11