Saturday, January 27, 2018

What's In a Name?

A couple of days ago, I was at the Nashville airport in need of some hydration.  Even though there were several stores selling water, I felt compelled to keep walking.  I stopped at a restaurant that had a little area with beverages at the checkout.  The lady working had a foreign accent that I recognized, but couldn't pinpoint the specific country.  She was so sweet to help me find an unrefrigerated water.  As I went to pay, I asked what her name "Salwa" meant.  She said "Comfort."  From our very brief encounter, I felt genuine enough to tell her that she seemed like the kind of person who is comforting.  That's when she said "With Jesus God, yes.  He is the source of comfort."  My eyes lit up, and I said, "I'm so glad you know Jesus.  I know Him too. "  As I asked questions, she went on to talk about church and how she often remembers and celebrates what He has done on the Cross for her and all who trust in Him.  I inquired where she is from since her accent could only reveal so much.  Her answer was a nation where we have people serving and sharing!  My heart rejoiced to meet this beautiful lady from a land where many do not have this true and lasting hope and joy through the Lord.  While she may have met Him here (I'm not sure), I thought of our brothers and sisters there who risk much to share the Good News.  On behalf of our brothers and sisters there and in similar nations, let us remember them and offer prayers of thanksgiving, protection, and strength for them.