Tuesday, March 6, 2018

I Love Prague


The morning I left for Prague, I woke up without a place to stay and realizing that two of my flights said they required a Visa.  In case you don't know me, the non-procrastinator/think-of-everything-ahead-of-time type, that was super stressful.  And while I'd like to say I calmly met the day as I trusted the Lord, that wasn't how it went.  But with Jesus as our model who asked a few who were close to Him to pray in His hour of need, I asked some to pray for me and was relieved to have all matters resolved within a short period of time.  Wasn't the stress-free day at the beach I'd planned, but I made the flight.

When I arrived the next day after a frigid flight and stopover in Portugal, it was evening.  I don't speak Czech, and the Uber driver didn't speak English...and he was lost.  I finally showed him the phone number of the host, who he called at work; and we were across the street!  It took me forever to figure out the code, and when I finally got inside, I was met with the daunting realization that they lived up three flights of narrow, winding stairs.  But at least a shower and bed awaited me...as did jet lag.

Where I Stayed the First Couple Nights

The next day, just as I got downstairs to venture out, the zipper to my new coat jammed so that I couldn't get into my pocket which contained the apartment keys and my phone.  This is the first time I wanted to cry on the trip.  Sounds silly, I'm sure, but it was the compounding of everything adding up.  Thankfully, I got the zipper down--and never back up--nor did I put anything valuable back inside.  I followed my host's instructions to find the Metro station and made it into the old city.  So cold, so beautiful!

City
The next morning, got all my luggage down the stairs and made it to the place I was meeting the EE team.  It was such an honor and joy meeting everyone, hearing their stories, and getting to share mine.  We ate a meal together, then went to a shopping center for outreaches.  Then I met once more with the leader before heading on to the pension where the SAMS retreat would be.

EE Team in Prague

Cute room with a view, but where was that draft coming from?  Good thing for wool blankets and the fleece headband my dad gave me before I left.  I'd need them the next couple of nights.  Sunday a few of us visited the Anglican Church, so cold that we kept gloves, scarves, and hats on the whole time and were still cold!  I was so encouraged by the preacher's sermon and time of fellowship afterward, which ran into mid-afternoon.  

St. Clement's Anglican Church


Monday was a full day of retreat with prayer, small groups, big group.  I ventured with some of the men who were braving the sub-zero temps before dinner to walk the Charles Bridge and visit the Lennon Wall.  Then we had dinner in a nice Czech restaurant.  When I came back to my room, I was so encouraged to have the heat working properly and wouldn't even need the space heater they had kindly offered me to use!

And it was incredible timing because I would spend the next 2.5 days until my departure there in bed...with the flu! :(  The day I left, I felt somewhat better--without the aches, but depleted of energy and strength.  I was full of thanks to have an extended checkout and help with my bags.  The Uber driver arrived the second I did, so I didn't have to wait in the cold.  The guy checking in people in the line next to me was making every person fit their carry-on into the very small wire basket shaped like a piece of luggage and telling them it was too big.  My flight attendant offered to check in both bags--carry-on included--for free, all the way to Zurich...which meant I wouldn't have to lug them, praise God!  (They usually offer this at the gate, not check-in). 

I actually sported the mask my mom gave me when I reached security since it was getting crowded.  Once I made it through,  I noticed a sign for a prayer room upstairs, which was the perfect empty place to rest until they listed our gate location.  Unfortunately I never heard the initial boarding call, only the final!  So, I hurried across the airport to the gate, getting to miss the line, hearing them call my name as I walked through the jetway.  

Prague...mmm...I'm glad I went despite the chaos and challenges.  I think once some time passes, I'll have only sweet memories and would love to go back one day...in the summer.  And perhaps then I can honestly say "I love Prague."  :)

Prague is known for its Bohemian Crystal