Friday, June 1, 2018

Days Two and Three in Bangkok

Oh boy...the last month has been busy to say the least!  I'll try to update you on my final days in SE Asia in my next couple of blogs.


Friday I walked down to a nearby park, which was quite huge!  I regretted leaving behind my umbrella (to use as a parasol) and water bottle because it was so hot!  I was able to cover a good bit of territory in about an hour so that I could get back to some shade and hydration.





Entrance to the Park


Not sure if this is about recycling or trash disposal, but he's pumped.
There were a few of these guys around!

Friday evening, I had been invited to a dinner party by the Bishop and his wife, which was incredibly kind since I didn't know anyone in Bangkok.  Another couple who'd been invited just happened to live on the street where I was staying and agreed to meet me and share a taxi.  That was the plan anyway.  But finding a taxi on a Friday night isn't so easy; so after a few minutes of walking, we hailed a tuk tuk (a bit different than the Cambodian ones--no moped).  It was fine until it started raining, so we all huddled together and mostly kept dry.  There is so much traffic that it probably would've taken less time to walk....  except for the lack of sidewalks in this very busy section!  Another guest did walk and arrived soaked to the bone!  

It was a lovely time.  The one wife is Vietnamese and quite accomplished, though extremely humble. Not only does she make dresses for Hollywood stars, but she has started several non-profit organizations in Vietnam that help support those in need.  For example, her one business employees deaf and dumb (except for one employee)!!  It's so encouraging to see how God can and does use those He chooses and respond to His call, wow!

I also learned that my imagination was not so wild regarding the crazy traffic (I posted from Phnom Penh).  This couple knew a young couple who'd just had a baby, and the husband died from a motorcycle accident.  They said it's a common occurrence.  How sad!  

My last day, Saturday, I'd wanted to either go to the Market or palace.  My new acquaintances had given me a map and clear directions for how to get to either, but I knew my decision would be made by how many emails I had when I awoke, which were several and a to-do list!  So, I thankfully stayed in my room to work.  I write "thankfully" because it poured, which was quite therapeutic.  I even recorded it, but couldn't get the audio file to upload without uploading my entire playlist. ;)

Very thankful for the time in Bangkok before I ventured on to Indonesia.



Local Park