Tuesday, June 26, 2018

The Holy Land

Before going to Switzerland last October, I met with a good friend who shared the exciting news that she and her husband were going to go on the trip to Israel that my pastor would help lead this summer.  I was so excited for them!

Fast-forward to mid-November from my couch in Switzerland: my sister had visited my home church in Charleston and encouraged me to listen to (my pastor) Steve's sermon online.  When I logged onto the website, I saw the Israel trip featured on the screen and stared dreaming about going.  It was short-lived, though, as there was just no way to pull that off at this time in my life, where I depend on the financial support of others and with a heavy travel schedule already.  After contemplating all the options to reduce the price (could I fly from Europe and meet up?), I realized I needed to let it go.

A couple of weeks later: It's now my last full day in Switzerland, my friends have me over for a nice meal and give me gifts.  At some point, they say how they are going to Israel in May.  "Oh, my church is going in June!"  They ask if I'm going.  "No."  Why?  "Well, it costs $4,000," and I rattle off 2-3 other reasons why I can't go.  They ask if I would like to go.  "Well, yes, but not this time."  We hug and say our goodbyes, and I go home.

Five minutes later, there is a knock at the door.  I open to see the wife who tells me that she and her husband have been talking, and if I want to go to Israel that they will pay for me to go!  My mouth drops; and when I can finally speak, I thank her and say I'll pray about it.  I'm not one to make major decisions without reflection and prayer.  Not to mention, I am shocked and not sure how to respond to such an offer.  As I close the door, I remember a fleeting thought I had a couple of weeks before that the only way I could go would be if someone would pay for me (not expecting it to actually happen!).

The next morning, my friend stops by for one last goodbye.  I decide to make sure that they have understood the cost since they're not native English speakers.  Maybe they'd thought I said "for $1000 instead of $4000"--an easy misunderstanding even for a native speaker.  When she brings the topic up, saying "I want you to think about Israel.  It will change your life," I say "I wanted to ask you...did you understand how expensive it is?  It's $4,000 enunciating the 4 this time.  She replies, "I know, it's really expensive."  Wow, I decide to pray for a week because even though it may seem like a no-brainer, it is important for me to send the okay from the Lord since only He knows what the coming year will bring and where I need to be.

One week later, the day after Thanksgiving: I inquire with Wayne, the group leader, but the trip is already full.  I ask to be put on a waiting list and continue to ask the Lord if He wants me to go, trusting He'll open the door if He does.

The day after Christmas: I get a phone call from Wayne that two spaces have opened up, and I am the first one on the waiting list.  Do I want to go? YES!!!


And that is the amazing story of how I got to go to Israel with my home church!  Just got back a week ago!




Excited with Laura and Robbie at the airport


With Laura in old city of Jerusalem


*Over a week now.  Took a while for me to find time to get pics added!

Note: And sorry for the strange formatting which I realize is not all nice and neat.  This is after some work to get it to display right!