Thursday, February 14, 2019

Unexpected Blessings

Note: Been wanting to write, but so busy!  This is backlogged a bit.

This Monday during Bible Study, we talked about "unexpected blessings."  It was timely as I know all about those lately!  Backing up to a couple of weeks ago: I was so close to not going to Florida for a women's development (missions) course because I started coming down with something.  (Another story for another time, but God's kindness and the prayers of many were special and effective!). The morning I drove to Florida I met with my missions director who was in town.  I recall very honestly telling him I wasn't looking forward to this course.  When I'd signed up for it back in October, it looked like a perfect course, addressing several issues I regularly encounter but have really had no training.  When all of my prayer requests were granted within a week (housing, funding, feasible dates), I took it as confirmation and signed up!  

When I received our reading material, though, my gratitude turned to complaint.  The books were on the place of women and sometimes as specific as the dreaded "gender roles" which makes me squirm internally.  I felt duped and like the Lord had set me up here.  Had I known this was the major topic, I'm fairly certain I wouldn't have signed up.

But I would've missed out!  First of all, it was one of several topics.  As the group of amazing women ended our week together, I felt so honored to have been among these ladies and to have received so much.  I understood why I don't completely know where I stand on this subject and why there's so much confusion.  There are 8 different views within the "inerrancy of the Bible" camp, not to mention the mixed messages we get about women from the different areas of our lives.   While I didn't leave with "an answer," I left with much more: I had modeled to me how to have a non-threatening conversation about a controversial topic as well as the importance of humility, specifically the possibility of being wrong, when we enter these dialogues.  (And not to focus on being wrong versus being right anyway).  Wow, that was invaluable!

And quite honestly, I believe it was answered prayer.  You see, last June, I was having a heart-to-heart on the beach about this very topic.  I wasn't the one to bring it up, but it stirred me; and I cried out for the Lord to answer my questions.  I didn't understand why He wasn't just answering the way I'm used to.  As the week neared, a bit annoyed, I was equally impressed at the ingenuity of the Lord's strategy to send me to a course for me to dig deep and search the matter out rather than a simple fix.  There's still some digging to do!

We also learned coaching skills and got to practice on one another.  That's right up my alley!  Not to mention super useful as I believe the Lord answered some other deep-seated questions that I've been wrestling with for months just through these practice sessions!

Personally speaking, one of the ladies has a French connection just down the road from where I'll be in France!  This is shocking as no one's ever heard of the place I'm going.  I also got to re-connect with a friend I made in Thailand last April who actually found me housing for the week.

There was more, but I'll stop there.  Talk about unexpected blessings at an exponential rate!  We don't deserve the Lord's kindness, but His very nature is just that.   Thank You, Lord!