Monday, March 12, 2018

Manic Monday

On the days I work from home, I have control over my schedule.  Because it rains practically every day here, I plan my breaks for fresh air or errands when the rain stops.  One thing I've noticed about here more than anywhere I've ever lived --though Germany was close--is that you can't trust the forecast.  I don't know if it has to do with living at the base of the Alps, but it can change on you just like that.  The positive side is it doesn't always rain when it says it will.  The down side is that, as was the case today, 0% chance and cloudy went to 30-40% within about 20 minutes.  So, better get out while I could before the odds increased.

I normally do my grocery shopping at Aldi even though it's more of a hike because it's much more affordable; but I noticed that something I wanted was half off at Spar, the closest grocery store nearby.  So, getting just enough coins for my purchase, I headed there first.  As I lugged the 6-pack of mineral water to the checkout, the guy who worked there presumably asked me if I had a Spar card.  Well, no.  Of course, like most grocery stores (but not Aldi :), you need one to get the deals.  After a minute, I asked if he could please speak Hoch Deutsch?  Oh, naturlich, Hoch Deutsch.  So he did...I guess.  I know I'm out of practice, but my eyes started glazing over while he was basically explaining the whole process about how they feature certain items that have special, low prices for those who have a card; but you have to sign up. It's still not clear how you actually get the card, but I deduced that I could not get one right then and there since I asked to, and all that followed was the explanation with no pen and no form.  I apologized that I would leave without the water after all, which he pardoned and handed me a brochure about the card.  Somewhat relieved that I didn't have to carry the heavier-than-I'd-considered 9 liters home, I stopped back home to grab a bag, the sack full of empty plastic bottles and cardboard to recycle next to Aldi, and an umbrella...just to be prepared.

I was excited to try a new route I'd spotted from the train station yesterday, a fancy red bridge-like overpass to cross the highway.  Not that I needed to cross the highway, but who knew what was over there?  May as well explore on my walk to the store, right?  Just as I got halfway, the raindrops started falling.  Even though I was slightly annoyed that it was indeed raining despite the memo that it wouldn't, at least I had am umbrella and warm clothes, right?  And then the gusts came, blowing my umbrella inside out.  My hair which I loosened to put on my hat was frizzing with every second as I struggled to regain control of the umbrella.  After multiple failed attempts and struggling to pull my hood on with a handful of items as the rain fell a bit harder along with the wind, I was not a happy camper, tossing my worthless umbrella in a public trash bin.



As I arrived at Aldi, lo and behold, they have removed the receptacles that collect used bottles since I was here in the fall!  Really?  I scooted in the exit as a guy left so that I could at least recycle my few pieces of cardboard and set my bag of bottles next to it, undecided as to whether I would pick it up on my way out.  After I'd completed my shopping and was exiting, I had just gotten over my pride and worked up the ethical integrity to take my bottles back home when I noticed they'd already been removed (probably by a German.  They get money back in Germany. :). With the clouds looming above, I walked over to Takko, a clothing store, to ask if they had any regenschirm (umbrellas).  Nein, but Migros does.  I wasn't so sure how Migros would feel about me entering with a bag and hands full of Aldi groceries, so I peeked into La Halle, the shoe store, who thankfully also sell umbrellas.  And it's a good thing I got such a quick replacement because I needed it the first half of my walk home.  Just another manic Monday. :)