Tuesday, March 6, 2018

There's No Place Like Home

This blog is part 3.  It's best to read Part 1 (I Love Prague) and Part 2 (When in Rome) first.

So, when I got to the airport in Rome...again...I went straight to the Vueling desk to get a flight.  It was around 1:00 or 1:30PM by this time.  When the lady told me their next flight was at 7:30 PM, my heart sank. When she said that I had to purchase the new ticket separately from the old ticket, I decided to check Swiss Air to see if they had anything earlier.  My mouth dropped when she quoted a price three times more expensive than Vueling, but that left in about an hour.  Vueling had been very kind and helpful the day before, I rationalized.  Maybe I should stick with them.  But without even thinking, I told the lady at Swiss Air that I was desperate and accepted the ticket!  She looked more surprised than me, and she doesn't even know how frugal I am.  

Feeling nervous that I may have a three-peat, I wanted as little time as possible to lose any more strength or to cave from the past few days' events.  A friend from my organization texted me "May Jesus give u super strength."   Yes, exactly what I needed!  And He did.  As soon as we got on the flight, they informed us there would be a delay and that the Zurich airport was currently closed because of the snow.  We still took off, and thankfully it did open again before landing, though we had to circle some.  About mid-flight, though, I had something horrible happen, another first-time experience: my ears hurt so bad, I thought my ear drums may burst!  I tried yawning, sipping, pretending to chew gum.  Nothing touched it.  And like so many times this trip, my prayers seemed hollow as though there were No one on the "other side."  Hurt, I still asked the Lord what to do.  That's when I placed my fingers on my neck below my ears.  I'm not sure what it did, but gave me a strategy till we landed, my ears completely clogged now.  But never mind, I was in Zurich!  Finally!  Like usual, I was greeted by none other than the one and only Roger Federer--or at least a video of him.  It's my favorite arrival anywhere. :). 


Thanks for the warm welcome, Roger :)


And, as to be expected, my bags were MIA.  But again, I didn't even care.  A friend picked me up to drive me home in the freshly fallen snow.  I arrived to a table-full of food, gifts, and white roses from my neighbors who are friends.  After showering and eating, I was ready for bed, but I wanted to thank God for getting me here safely.  And while I pray with pretty much any posture, this moment called for me to get on my knees before Him and acknowledge Him as the God that He is.  And as I thanked Him for the past week, my prayer became a poem, acknowledging His presence when I didn't feel or know it at the time.  And the tears I had held within both in Prague and in Rome were released.  He was there when I had felt so alone.  And all that money I couldn't believe I'd spent to get home, I realized that decision was guided by Him because even though I would've never spent it all on myself, He would spend whatever it takes to have gotten me back.  The last week was horrendous, something I don't wish to re-live, but one thing I know through it all: my Father in Heaven loves me.  More than a feeling.  More than an idea.  His love is so real all the time.  He is always with us, always offering to be "at home" in us.  There's no place like Home.


So Much Love