Saturday, September 7, 2019

How Do You Like Your Butter?

Wednesday, August 28, 2019

I have to backtrack to last Wednesday. My Swiss colleague and friend Tabea taught me a little trick: if you put the little cold butter packet in your pocket while you get the rest of your food, it will get soft and be ready to spread when you’re back at the table. I like that plan because I like soft butter. Unfortunately, my brain was already in a million directions, and let’s just say I never buttered my bread that morning.

It was later that afternoon as I was greeting friends who were arriving when I remembered the butter! Yep, and I had had my lunch outside in the very hot temperatures! Yuck!

So the next day, I had just showered and was going to put on the same black pants. For my American friends, please don’t think me disgusting. It’s how we do it here in Europe.  Yet, I started to smell something bad and really hoped it wasn’t me.  Not feeling very hopeful, I brought my pants to my nose to confirm that they were indeed the culprit...specifically the left pocket where the butter had been the previous day. 

Thankfully Helmut had found a professional laundry closeby where you can have your clothes washed and pressed for only 300 Lek per kilo ($3/kg).  That’s good news because I packed for 2 1/2 weeks in only a very small carry-on and would need some washing.

No idea what all those words mean, but I understand Laundry.  Communicating was a bit pathetic,
but I managed to drop off my clothes and pick them up at the appropriate time and pay the correct amount. ☺️ 


I was happy to be able to wear my black pants again this morning, but would you know that there’s still a slight smell!  😳 I know that they’re clean, but I’ll be glad when I can put them through an American washer again. I’ve also learned a lesson: from now on, if I want my butter to be soft, I’ll hold it in my hand. No more pants pockets!

Note: I have good news: the American washer did the trick!  Smell is gone! ðŸ˜…