Saturday, September 7, 2019

One Week Down, One Week To Go!

Note: The next few posts are backlogged.  I somehow found time to write, but was unable to post till today, finally back in Charleston!


August 24, 2018

Did you know that Tirana Airport is named after
Mother Theresa who was Albanian?

So many times the past few days, I wanted to blog. I could’ve written so many stories, but time and brainpower are in low supply.  I have been given the role of transportation coordinator, which has proven to be quite involved and extremely stressful. Let’s just say that I will think twice before filling out any transportation logistics for future conferences.  

I went to the airport the first day to scout things out and was able to rely on two of
our Swiss members to greet for the rest of the Congress.

One little typo has huge implications.  We had a very busy staff person go to the airport at 2:40 AM for a no-show because someone had written the wrong date!  Not to mention the work of ordering and canceling taxis every time someone’s flight changes or decides to leave earlier or later which involves a lot of arithmetic and communicating with multiple people.  This is my life right now: nonstop and never-ending.  

Still, it’s a blessing and honor to get to serve such amazing people for an organization that does such important gospel work. I’m also privileged to have wonderful colleagues who are a tremendous support. Tabea and Michel stepped up and covered all airport shifts between the two of them which freed me to do all of the coordinating with taxi service, hotel, payments, etc.  Helmut even went to the airport one night to pick up the 2:40 group so that our leader didn’t have to go back again and miss another night of sleep.  The team from Asheville are great and are working relentlessly.

The Amazing Michel (left) and Tabea (right) with
one of the hotel shuttle drivers.

It’s hard to imagine continuing at this pace, but we’re all taking one day at a time. I keep returning to the prayer that came to me as I wrestled with feelings of incapability the first night.  It was actually John the Baptist ‘s prayer: more of Him, less of me.  Somehow, the letting go has allowed me to embrace His strength in my weakness.  As I often feel, I truly believe the prayers of others are helping to sustain us.  Thank you!