Saturday, October 7, 2017

A Few Takeaways From Fiji

My first night in Fiji was a bit surreal as I walked to the cottage where I’m staying under the starlit sky.  What am I doing here?  In Fiji for the third time in 3 years?!  Among these amazing leaders from all over the world? Who two different speakers praised their positions and influence for such important, eternal matters.  It’s extremely humbling and such an honor, not just to be in their presence and a part of their team, but to glean knowledge and wisdom with them and from them.

The night we arrived, we were served a delicious Fijian meal as we met some of the board members for EE in Fiji.  They had some of the youth put on a phenomenal drama that acted out the history of Christianity in Fiji.


Delicious Fijian Food!

A skit the Fijian youth performed

Each weekday was filled with lots and lots of meetings and discussions in how to equip the national leaders better, work as a team, and review different policies.

My favorite session was when we looked at Exodus 18 to learn about leadership, priorities, focus, and delegation.  The first nugget I’ll share was very practical: basically, the later in the day (when we have less mental energy remaining), our decision-making abilities decline; so, better to make decisions before 4 PM.  (That finding was from scientific research, not the passage).

Second, first and foremost, we’re the Lord’s servant. This speaks to me because my very role is one of a servant.  I serve a person, a team, and an organization.  I also serve those who are sending me.  While that’s so true, I must remember that above anyone else, I serve the Lord.  It’s all too easy to get caught up in our responsibilities and get our priorities off kilter.  May we keep Him at the highest place in our hearts.

Saturday was a free day where I rested, walking the beach and marina in the morning and relaxing at the center in the afternoon.  Sunday, I was asked to share my testimony at a local Anglican church where Bishop G. is a convert from a different religion.  E. from Russia gave a strong sermon, using personal examples to exhort us to take every opportunity we have to share the Gospel with those who God puts in our lives.  I think we always need this push.

With E, Bishop G, and an Aussie after the service


Many people left Thursday bright and early, giving me all of Thursday to pack and get to visit a Fijian-Indian couple I met last year at a clinic we held.  Their kindness is humbling as they don't have electricity or much at all, but they had me over for a meal and showered me with gifts.  We were all so grateful to see each other despite the short time I had in Fiji.  As I left, the Fijians predicted it won't be the last time they see me.  With this unplanned track record, I'm starting to wonder myself! 

Quick visit/meal before my plane left!