Sunday, October 15, 2017

Vocab Word of the Day...

I learned a new German word today: Nebel.  It means fog.  The couple who is renting me a place to live has been so kind to me and offered to take me to a church this morning about 20 minutes from where we live.  It was about 48 degrees and heavy fog as we left.  After the service was over, the fog was still there.  They asked if I’d like to go up to the mountains and get above the fog and clouds.  Yes, please!  Had I known there would be an hour hike involved in my afternoon, I wouldn’t have worn white pants and 3-inch boots!   But I have no regrets as it was so beautifully breath-taking as we had our lunch outside looking at the Alps, and I absolutely love hiking.  And by this time, the weather had warmed up to the 70’s, which made it a bit warm, but again no complaining from me.  

View from the top of the tower of Lake Zurich


At one point, I was telling them how it is so amazing how changing your position/location can provide such a different perspective!  I think about how things in life can sometimes be cloudy, and it’s hard to get our bearings straight and know how to think and pray at times...at least for me.  But maybe what we need is to get out of the spot we’re in so that we can gain a different view.  And then, of course, there’s God’s perspective.  While we don’t necessarily have to climb a hill or mountain to have that, it does take intentionality to get away from the “fog” of life and also to choose His ways which are higher than our ways. 






He promises in a psalm, which just happens to be on a picture in my room, (translated) "I will show you the way you should go; I will lead/guide you with my eyes." I hear that the fog, though sometimes fleeing, will most likely stick around till February!  I won't be here that whole time, but still, that’s plenty of time to practice this concept.  Hopefully I’ll get some more get-aways in the future.