Saturday, October 7, 2017

Third Time's a Charm

Well, I guess it all depends on how you define charm.  I love this place, I must say.  There have been a few differences this time around, other than the people I’m here with.  Fiji has had a terrible drought, leaving the normally green spaces brown and causing some wildfires.  Ima, who takes care of the center, was thanking God that at least we have water.  Me too!  

I still take my early morning walks, but found a new path after the first day’s dogs barking from afar.  At least they aren’t muddy walks like last year. 

Sunrise on my morning walk in the sugar cane fields


This time, there are pigs, bees, goats, and roosters.  The little baby goats are so cute and apparently know to come back to the center after roaming and mixing with other goats in the sugar cane fields during the day.  The roosters are not as loved and have been threatened by at least one participant for their disrespect of choosing to make so much noise during sleeping hours.  :)

Speaking of goats, we had the option of goat or beef curry for supper. I decided on the goat since that’s not something I eat at home.  Then later as I gazed upon the field and watched the cute little kid goats frolicking, I started feeling a little guilty about my choice of meat. 

Then there’s Felix.  That’s the rat who graces us with his presence every night.  At first, I didn’t actually see him and comforted myself with the possibility that maybe he was a mongoose, squirrel, or even mouse.  But finally one night, my eyes beheld him and had to accept the disturbing truth.

It's also been very hot, and some in the group are used to A/C, which we don't have other than a unit in the meeting room.   And the limited data and signal for Internet, which makes it feel like we're living in a different era for some.  But there's just something about Fiji with its natural beauty and slow pace which helps you to enjoy life as it is.  So thankful for my time here...once again.