Thursday, October 19, 2017

Kindness

Perhaps it’s because of the recent weeks of studying the book of Ruth, but I’ve been very aware of God’s kindness toward me through the kindness of others.  I suppose that kindness is always appreciated at some level; but as a foreigner, the depth of gratitude reaches much deeper.  

The two back-to-back international flights from Fiji to get here could’ve been much more stressful, but I had a flight buddy on both who helped me with my bags and with some of the issues that came up.  Since my arrival, those I work with in EE—some who are new faces--have looked out for me and been very gracious with the language barrier.

Then there’s the family who is renting me their flat.  Kindness doesn’t even seem to capture the generosity and really love that I have received from them.  They constantly think of things that will help me feel welcome and comfortable and have gone out of their way to take care of me.  They’ve had me for a couple of meals and given me all kinds of extras for the flat.  The most recent is the table/chairs they put outside for me to sit in the sun and the scooter they offered me to get to the train/bus more quickly.  Not quite sure if I’m ready for that, ha, but those are examples of their kind hearts being put into action.  

Thankful for a spot in the sun!


Like Ruth, I feel so humbled and thankful for the favor and kindness being shown to me by those who have no reason to help me.  And they not only reflect God’s nature of kindness, but are the channel through whom I get to taste and see this kindness.  I’m thankful we have a kind God who extends His kindness through others.  I hope to be a channel of His kindness as well.