Monday, October 2, 2017

More Than Meets The Eye

Well, it's been a while.  I've had much to write, but haven't had a free minute!  This past week was filled with online meetings, lots of emails to our workers to remember deadlines, preparing for upcoming VP meetings, and last-minute prep for traveling.  The time has finally arrived, and I'm en route as I type!

I often am asked what a typical day looks like.  That's hard to answer because every day is different, and quite honestly, I'm afraid if I start explaining, it would make you sorry you ever asked.  Or maybe that could be due more to my detailed personality that explains things to the tee. ;). The reality is that a lot of what I do is behind-the-scenes work.

I am learning that many things--whether decisions, projects, or even newsletters--require a lot more time and process than expected.  And when you work with others, which we all do, the collaboration of schedules and lives requires even more time.  And as I consider the nature of my own role which is more "backstage," it has me thinking about how God also works behind the scenes sometimes.

While He's shown Himself in my own and others' lives to be a very present God and sometimes reveals Himself in amazing ways on-the-spot; there are also examples in scripture where people have asked for help, and it takes quite a while before the human eye will see evidence of Him responding.  Like a man named Daniel who prayed and had to wait 3 weeks before any sign of God hearing that prayer (Daniel 10).  Come to find out, what he and others didn't see was a battle in the heavens waging war on behalf of this man and those around him.  It tells us that a holy angel who was connected to getting Daniel's prayer answered was opposed by an evil force, and they were fighting 21 days.  Now that is behind the scenes!  On the one hand, it is encouraging to know that silence and passing time does not equal disinterest or neglect on God's part.  On the other, it reminds us that there's usually more than meets the eye to a situation.

Getting back to the work I do, I don't meant to imply that it is nearly as significant as that of angelic beings, but I find it comforting to know that it takes unseen action to accomplish the goals of a much larger operative.

That said, the next couple of weeks are going to be packed.  I hope to get a post in, but if not, I'm probably making a to-do list or tracking people down to get it done. :)  Stay tuned!